Acts of civil disobedience are expected to take place this afternoon, May 26th, in Khartoum and possibly other states. Protest activity is expected to center around areas near the Presidential Palace. Initial protest gathering points may include Bashdar Station, Sharwani Station, El-Qasr Street, El-Qurashi Park, and the Al-Moassasa Station, the Khartoum Two Market, and the industrial area on Al-Hurya Street. The Macnimir Bridge has been closed. There may be other centralized or decentralized demonstrations, road blockages by protesters, business closures, and additional bridges may be closed. Unannounced protests and other acts of civil disobedience may continue to take place, in addition to larger organized protests. Embassy personnel have been encouraged to work from home in the afternoon.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Khartoum, Sudan
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Sudan Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter