Demonstrations are expected to take place today, February 20th, in various locations across Khartoum and potentially in other states. Protests are expected to start at approximately 1 p.m., with crowds gathering as early as 11 a.m. Demonstrations may be centralized or decentralized, may involve road blockages by protesters, business closures, and security forces may close bridges. Unannounced protests and other acts of civil disobedience may continue to take place in the coming weeks, in addition to larger organized protests.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Khartoum, Sudan
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Sudan Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter