Location: Gathering points may include, but are not limited to, the following locations and their vicinities in Khartoum, Sudan:
- Siteen (also known as 60th, or Bashir Elnefeidi) Street
- Areas around Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) Headquarters
Event: Demonstrations are expected to take place on May 12, 2021. Exact times are unknown, but demonstrations are expected to begin shortly after 1800 local time. Protester road blocks are in place along sections of Siteen (also known as 60th, or Bashir Elnefeidi) Street, and road blocks are in place along streets leading to SAF Headquarters. In related demonstrations that took place on May 11, 2021, security forces dispersed protesters, with two confirmed fatalities.
U.S. government personnel are advised to avoid these areas until further notice.
Actions to take:
- Avoid non-essential travel.
- Keep a low profile.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Sudan Country Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter