Acts of civil disobedience are expected to take place this afternoon, March 15th, in Khartoum and potentially in other states. This may include centralized or decentralized demonstrations, road blockages by protesters, and business closures. El Mek Nimr Bridge is reportedly closed and security forces may close other bridges. Unannounced protests and other acts of civil disobedience may continue to take place in the coming weeks, in addition to larger organized protests. Embassy personnel have been encouraged to depart from work one hour early.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Khartoum, Sudan
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
- Sudan Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter