Event: On March 19, the Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 and in countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States.
Update: The U.S. Embassy is collecting information from U.S. citizens who wish to depart Sudan but are unable to do so. If you are a U.S. citizen who wishes to depart Sudan, please fill out this form for you and each traveler. Because we are collecting additional information, we encourage all interested American citizens who previously provided information via email to fill out this form if they have not already done so. We will use this information to assess the need for a repatriation flight and to contact you if we are able to organize one.
If you have questions related to repatriation flights, please send an email to KHRTCovidDepart2020@state.gov.
The U.S. Embassy is monitoring the current situation in Sudan. The Embassy is aware of the hardship flight cancellations and border closures are creating for U.S. citizens who need to get to the United States. We are exploring all options to address the current travel disruptions. If you have not done so, please enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy in Sudan can contact you with updated information and in an emergency.
Sudan has seven confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders as of 01 April 2020.
Until further notice, all commercial flights to Sudan have been cancelled, and all land borders have been closed. While we are exploring all options to address the current travel disruptions, we strongly encourage you to continue working with your airline and/or travel arranger.
Due to the possibility of an extended disruption, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations for the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
Additional information, including the latest alerts and messages pertaining to Sudan may be found here.
Actions to Take:
- If you are a U.S. citizen wishing to depart Sudan but are unable to, please fill out this form for you and each traveler
- Visit our Embassy webpage https://sd.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/ for information on conditions in Sudan
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions
- Monitor local media press releases and government announcements
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
We would like to reassure you that we will update U.S. citizens on this current situation as quickly as possible, and strongly urge you to refer to our website for the latest updates.
For after-hours American Citizen Services emergency, please call us at +249 18 702 2000 and ask to speak to the Embassy duty officer.
U.S. Embassy Khartoum, Sudan
Phone: + (249) (187) 02287
+ (249) (187) 022000 (after hours)