Location: Khartoum, Sudan
Event: On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19. On March 19, the Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 and in countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States.
Update: On April 9, a repatriation flight departed Sudan. Currently, no other flight is scheduled.
We will continue to regularly send this information for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight all new information.
U.S. Embassy in Khartoum is continuing to collect information from U.S. citizens who wish to depart Sudan but are unable to do so. U.S. citizens in possession of valid U.S. passports who wish to depart Sudan but are unable to do so – please read below for next steps:
- U.S. citizens who have already filled out the formexpressing interest: we have registered your interest, no further action is required. Continue to monitor your email for further details.
- U.S. citizens who have filled out the formexpressing interest but are no longer interested: please email us at KHRTCovidDepart2020@state.gov to notify us that you are no longer interested.
- U.S. citizens who have not filled out the formbut want to join this potential flight: please fill out this form now to express your interest. You should complete the form for each family member in your group.
The U.S. Embassy is monitoring the current situation in Sudan. The Embassy is aware of the hardship flight cancellations and border closures are creating for U.S. citizens who need to get to the United States. We are exploring all options to address the current travel disruptions. If you have not done so, please enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so the U.S. Embassy in Sudan can contact you with updated information and in an emergency.
If you have questions related to repatriation flights, please send an email to KHRTCovidDepart2020@state.gov.
Additional information, including the latest alerts and messages pertaining to Sudan may be found here.
Actions to Take:
- If you are a U.S. citizen wishing to depart Sudan but are unable to, please fill out this formfor you and each traveller
- Visit our Embassy webpage https://sd.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/for information on conditions in Sudan
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions
- Monitor local media press releases and government announcements
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
We would like to reassure you that we will update U.S. citizens on this current situation as quickly as possible, and strongly urge you to refer to our website for the latest updates.
For after-hours American Citizen Services emergency, please call us at +249 18 702 2000 and ask to speak to the Embassy duty officer.