Event: On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19. On March 19, the Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19 and in countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States.
Update: Effective Tuesday, May 19, 2020, the Government of Sudan has extended the 24-hour lockdown in Khartoum for an additional fourteen days. Limited exceptions between 6:00am and 1:00pm local time will apply for the public to go to grocery stores or pharmacies; this message will be updated with more details as they become available.
We strongly recommend that all persons comply with the measures the government puts in place.
All persons in Sudan, regardless of nationality, are subject to the curfew as well as all local laws. All U.S. Embassy personnel are required to comply with the lockdown.
If you are detained or arrested, the U.S. government can neither secure your release nor act as your legal representative.
Additional information, including the latest alerts and messages pertaining to Sudan, may be found here https://sd.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage https://sd.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/ for information on conditions in Sudan
- Monitor local media press releases and government announcements
- Restrict all outside movement during curfew hours
- Plan ahead to ensure you stay compliant with curfew hours
- Register in STEP to receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions and help us contact you in an emergency
For after-hours American Citizen Services emergency, please call us at +249 18 702 2000 and ask to speak to the Embassy duty officer.