Latest MASCOT Demonstration Alert U.S. Embassy Khartoum, Sudan January 3, 2019
Location: Each city in metropolitan Khartoum (Khartoum, Omdurman, and Khartoum North) and in other cities and locations across Sudan.
Event: Demonstrations have been called for the following times:
Friday, January 4, 2019: Demonstrations are expected in the afternoon in Khartoum and other cities.
Sunday, January 6, 2019: Protesters are expected to gather at different points in the city beginning at 1:00 p.m. and converge at the Presidential Palace.
Wednesday, January 9, 2019: Demonstrations are expected at the National Assembly building in Omdurman.
Organizers have also called for demonstrations nightly in Khartoum and in other cities and locations across Sudan.
U.S. Embassy Khartoum is also aware of a continued increased presence of Sudanese armed forces in Khartoum.
American personnel at the U.S. Embassy have been advised to avoid downtown Khartoum in the afternoon on Friday, January 4, 2019.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Stay home if possible, and exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Khartoum, Sudan
+ (249) (187) 022871
+ (249) (187) 022000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Sudan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.