Security Alert–U.S. Embassy Khartoum, Sudan (June 5, 2019)
Location: Each city in metropolitan Khartoum (Khartoum, Omdurman, and Khartoum North) and in other cities across Sudan.
Event: Violence and civil unrest continue in Khartoum and across Sudan. Communications systems, such as cellular data and internet, are not functional. Cellular voice and SMS are functional. The airport in Khartoum is open; however, some flights have been cancelled or are being rescheduled. Traveling to the airport may be hazardous due to roadblocks, civil unrest, and violence.
Movement by U.S. government personnel at the U.S. Embassy has been reduced to minimal official movements only. The Embassy is closed to the public.
Actions to Take:
- Shelter in place at home or another safe location
- Do not come to the Embassy
- Exercise extreme caution if you must go outside
- Make plans to leave Sudan
- Contact your airline directly for information on flights
- Inform loved ones of your safety
- Monitor local media for updates
- Keep a low profile
- U.S. Embassy Khartoum, Sudan
+ (249) (187) 022871
+ (249) (187) 022000 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Sudan Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.