Legal Assistance

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on a list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

When in Sudan, please note that U.S. citizens are subject to Sudanese jurisdiction and to applicable Sudanese laws and regulations.  Travelers to Sudan are actively encouraged to familiarize themselves with applicable laws, regulations, customs and norms.  The Sudanese legal system is different from the legal system in the United States and may be unfamiliar to U.S. citizens in Sudan.

Assistance in Cases of Arrest of an American Citizen:

The U.S. Embassy cannot get you released from jail; Sudan is a sovereign country and all persons in Sudan are subject to Sudanese laws.  However, the ACS section can work to protect your legitimate interests and to ensure that you are not discriminated against.  We can provide a list of local attorneys, visit you, and contact your family and friends on your behalf.  Visitation rights by the Embassy to U.S. citizens are subject to local laws and notification procedures.  It usually takes several weeks before the Embassy receives permission to visit detained U.S. citizens.

The U.S. Embassy is committed to providing the full range of American Citizen Services to all U.S. citizens present in Sudan.  U.S. citizens who are dual nationals, however, should realize that holding Sudanese nationality may complicate legal matters.

The attached list of local Attorneys has been prepared for the convenience of U.S. citizens seeking local legal counsel. (Updated on October 4, 2022)

To obtain an attorney in the United States or in another country, check the Martindale-Hubbell’s site at