The U.S. Embassy in Khartoum suspended its operations (to include visa, passport, and other routine consular services) on April 22, 2023.

To inform U.S. citizens of options to leave Sudan as security conditions permit, we need to know your information.  If you are a U.S. citizen in Sudan, please fill out the following form:  (There is no need to submit this information again if you have already submitted information concerning yourself or a U.S. citizen family member to U.S. Embassy Khartoum.)

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is an official record confirming that a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents acquired U.S. citizenship at birth and serves as proof of citizenship. This should be reported to the Embassy or Consulate where the birth occurred as soon as possible.

The U.S. Embassy in Khartoum can only issue a CRBA for a child born within its consular district. However, we may accept CRBA applications for children born outside Sudan and forward it to the appropriate Embassy or Consulate for processing. For such cases, Embassy Khartoum will be unable to determine the processing time, as it subject to the receiving Embassy or Consulate workload and process. If you applied at the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum and would like to check the status of the submitted application(s), you will need to contact the Embassy or Consulate where your child’s application(s) will be adjudicated.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is the official birth record for U.S. citizen children born outside of the U.S. Once a CRBA is issued, it becomes a child’s primary proof of U.S. citizenship and can be used to receive a U.S. passport. It is not necessary to apply for a U.S. passport after receiving a CRBA, but it is recommended if your child needs one.

Applications for Reports of Birth Abroad are accepted by appointment. Applicants are advised that they must prove transmission of citizenship and must provide evidence.

Know before You Apply

CRBA’s can only be issued to children who are 18 years of age or younger. If the child is over the age of 18, a CRBA will not be issued, but a passport may be issued once the identity of the child has been ascertained and the CRBA requirements have been fulfilled.

Any applicants under 16 years old must be present during the interview with both parents.  If one parent cannot be present, please read the section titled “Parental Consent” to understand what additional documents you need to present with your application.

The Consular Officer may request a DNA test.  In some cases, the Consular Officer may find it necessary to confirm the biological relationship of the U.S. citizen parent and the child applicant.  You will receive additional information on the day of your interview if the Consular Officer requires a DNA test.

The Consular Officer may request more evidence of physical presence.  A complete application includes documentary evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States.  See below for information about providing evidence of physical presence.  You may be asked to reschedule your appointment or return to the ACS Unit at a later date if your application does not include documented evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States.

If you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship and you are less than 18 years old, follow the instructions on this page to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and/or a U.S. passport.

Requirements for All Applicants

When you have prepared all the required documents, you are ready for your interview.  Please note: if you do not have all your documents in order, you may be asked to reschedule your appointment.  Keep in mind that the Consular Officer has the discretion to request more information.  The ACS Unit does not receive applications outside of business hours, on weekends, holidays and administrative days or via email, internet or fax.  If you have questions, please email the ACS Unit at

Application Requirements:

* Parent/s and applying child must appear in person.

The following original documents are required with English translations (done by a registered translation company), if applicable.

  1. Completed (but not signed) DS-2029 – Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  2. Completed (but not signed) form DS-11 (if applying for a passport)
  3. Signed and notarized form DS-3053 if one custodial parent is not able to attend
  4. The child’s original birth certificate and one photocopy.
  5. The parents’ original marriage certificate and one photocopy.
  6. Original passports of both parents and one photocopy of each.
  7. One passport photo that meets the specifications detailed here.
  8. Evidence of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship, original naturalization certificate(s) of U.S. citizen parent(s) and one photocopy, if applicable.
  9. Divorce or death certificate:  If either parent has been married previously, they should present the original or court certified divorce decree or death certificate for all previous marriages.  Please bring the original and 1 photocopy of the document;
  10. Information about transmission requirements and proof of physical presence are provided on the next page.

DOWNLOAD the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) Application Checklist (PDF 198 KB)