Proof of Physical Presence

  1. Proof of Physical Presence

The U.S. Embassy in Khartoum suspended its operations (to include visa, passport, and other routine consular services) on April 22, 2023.

To inform U.S. citizens of options to leave Sudan as security conditions permit, we need to know your information.  If you are a U.S. citizen in Sudan, please fill out the following form:  (There is no need to submit this information again if you have already submitted information concerning yourself or a U.S. citizen family member to U.S. Embassy Khartoum.)

Bring documentation that clearly demonstrates that the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States prior to the child’s birth (please review the transmission requirements). Even if you have already presented such documentation as part of the naturalization process, you must still prove your physical presence to the consular officer at the time of your CRBA application submission. The most easily obtained and reliable documents to prove physical presence may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Rental receipts
  • Utility bills
  • Financial records
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence.
  • Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence

At least one parent must prove he or she resided in the United States prior the child’s birth.

The U.S. citizen parent must prove they were physically present in the United States for a period of time (or period of time) totaling 5 years (at least two years after the U.S. citizen parent reached the age of 14 years) prior to the child’s birth.

All applications for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad must contain documented evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical time spent in the United States.  Physical presence is counted as the time that the U.S. citizen parent was actually in the United States.  If the parent had residence in the United States, but spent most of his/her time travelling or living abroad, only the time physically spent in the United States counts as physical presence.

The following absences from the United States may count as physical presence:

Honorable service in the U.S. armed forces