Citizenship Services

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. The following is a brief description of the various circumstances under which a child born abroad acquires American citizenship.

Renunciation is the most unequivocal way in which a person can manifest an intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship.  Please consider the effects of renouncing U.S. citizenship, described below, before taking this serious and irrevocable action.

If you have been issued any of the following documents, you may immediately begin your application for your first U.S. passport. If you are no longer in possession of any of these documents, you must obtain a certified copy from the issuing authority.

A U.S. Birth Certificate – for certified copies, please contact the state in which you were born. The National Center for Health Statistics maintains a list of states’ contact information for this purpose;

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) – for certified copies, please contact the Passport Services Office at the Department of State;

A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship – for certified copies, please contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

A U.S. Naturalization Certificate – for certified copies, please contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;

A passport of your U.S. citizen parent(s) in which you are included – for a copy of your parents’ passport records, please contact the Passport Services Office at the Department of State.

Once you are in possession of one of the listed documents, please see our instructions for applying for your first U.S. passport. If you were born outside the United States, have not been previously documented as a U.S. citizen and are:

**Under the age of 18: please see our instructions for obtaining a Consular Report of Birth Abroad;

**Over the age of 18: you should review the information concerning transmission requirements to see if your parent(s) had the prerequisite physical presence in the United States required by U.S. citizenship law in effect at that time. If, based on this information, you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please click here and follow the instructions provided.


Loss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act which deserves your thoughtful consideration.  It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.  If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, there are several steps you need to take including arranging an appointment to come into the Embassy to sign the Statement of Understanding, the Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire  and/or the Oath of Renunciation, in the presence of a Consular Officer.  Please note that the Statement of Understanding clearly states that the action you are taking is irrevocable.

Remember that expatriation is a personal right and can never be exercised by another person (including parents and/or legal guardians).

Important information on the loss of nationality process

Renouncing all rights and privileges

A person who wants to renounce U.S. citizenship cannot decide to retain some of the privileges of citizenship, as this would be logically inconsistent with the concept of renunciation. A person who attempts to retain some rights lacks a full understanding of renouncing citizenship and/or lacks the necessary intent to renounce citizenship. The Department of State will not approve a loss of citizenship in such instances.

Dual nationality / statelessness

If you renounce your U.S. citizenship and do not already possess a foreign nationality, you may be rendered stateless and, thus, lack the protection of any government. You may also have difficulty traveling as you may not be entitled to a passport from any country. Even if you are not stateless, you would still be required to obtain a visa to travel to the United States, or show that you are eligible for admission pursuant to the terms of the Visa Waiver Program (VWPP). You could be barred from entering the United States if found ineligible for a visa or the VWPP, under certain circumstances. Nonetheless, renunciation of U.S. citizenship may not prevent a foreign country from deporting an individual back to the United States, in some non-citizen status.

Tax & military obligations / no escape from prosecution

Also, renouncing your U.S. citizenship may have no effect whatsoever on your U.S. tax or military service obligations. (Contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information). In addition, the act of renouncing U.S. citizenship will not allow you to avoid possible prosecution for crimes which you may have committed in the United States, or escape the repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the United States or incurred as United States citizens abroad.

Renunciation for minor children

Parents cannot renounce U.S. citizenship on behalf of their minor children. Before an oath of renunciation will be administered under Section 349(a) (5) of the INA, a person under the age of eighteen must convince a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer that he/she fully understands the nature and consequences of the oath of renunciation, is not subject to duress or undue influence, and is voluntarily seeking to renounce his/her U.S. citizenship.

Irrevocability of renunciation

Finally, renouncing U.S. citizenship is irrevocable and cannot be canceled or set aside without successful administrative or judicial appeal. An applicant who renounced his or her U.S. citizenship before the age of eighteen can have that citizenship reinstated if he or she makes that desire known to the Department of State within six months after attaining the age of eighteen.

Documents required

You should gather the following documents:

Evidence of U.S. citizenship; (such as your most recent U.S. passport or U.S. birth certificate, if you are not in possession of your U.S. passport. If your passport is lost/stolen please fill out form DS-64 and submit it to the Embassy the day of interview.

U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, if applicable;

Copy of bio-pages of all current foreign passports;

Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the United States, if applicable;

Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the United States, if applicable;

Evidence of any name changes, if applicable (for example marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls);

Completed form DS-4079  (Request for determination of possible loss of US citizenship)

Completed form DS-4080 (Oath/Affirmation of renunciation of nationality of United States)

Completed form DS-4081 (Statement of understanding concerning the consequences and ramifications of renunciation or relinquishment of US nationality)

Completed Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire – download the pdf form HERE

Completed Informal Loss of Citizenship Acknowledgement. Download the pdf form HERE.

Completed SS-5 form for social security to be able to amend your status with SSA once your loss of US citizenship request approved.

Please note that once you sign the oath of renunciation before a consular officer, the US Embassy will keep your US passport and certificate of citizenship/naturalization, if applicable, as part of the renunciation process.

Requesting an appointment

All of the above documents and forms (typed or clear-readable handwritten) must be scanned and sent to for scheduling an appointment with the consular officer at the Embassy to take the oath of renunciation.


You will be required to pay a non-refundable fee of $2,350 {or current fee according to schedule of fees in 22 CFR 22.1} or equivalent in Sudanese Pounds in cash in the day of your interview for documentation of your request for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality.

Should you have any questions please send an e-mail to Please note that if you do not understand any aspect of the loss of nationality requirements or process described above or you are unsure about whether you would like to continue with the expatriation process, you may speak telephonically or in-person with a consular mission member or consular officer at the embassy.  If you choose not to request a telephonic or in-person discussion, and decide to schedule an appointment to take the Oath of Renunciation, we will assume you fully understand the loss of nationality requirements and process described above and have chosen to proceed with the expatriation process.

Once your renunciation case is approved by the State Department, you will be contacted to come in person and collect your Certificate of Loss of Nationality (CLN)