Internal Revenue Service (U.S. Taxes)

The U.S. Embassy in Khartoum suspended its operations (to include visa, passport, and other routine consular services) on April 22, 2023.

To inform U.S. citizens of options to leave Sudan as security conditions permit, we need to know your information.  If you are a U.S. citizen in Sudan, please fill out the following form:  (There is no need to submit this information again if you have already submitted information concerning yourself or a U.S. citizen family member to U.S. Embassy Khartoum).

U.S. Embassy Khartoum does not have an IRS representative and cannot provide tax advice for U.S. taxpayers living overseas or recommend specific filing services. However, resources are available for individuals seeking tax assistance while living abroad.

Please note that the U.S. Embassy cannot mail tax returns on behalf of U.S. taxpayers and does no longer keep a stock of printed forms and publications.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides the following tax filing guidance for U.S. taxpayers living abroad. Links to further IRS guidance are available on the Federal Benefits and Obligations page on

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien living or traveling outside the United States, you generally are required to file income tax returns, estate tax returns, and gift tax returns, and pay estimated tax in the same way as those residing in the United States. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

Your income, filing status, and age generally determine whether you must file an income tax return. Generally, you must file a return if your gross income from worldwide sources is at least the amount shown for your filing status in the Filing Requirements table in Chapter 1 of Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad (PDF 2.5 MB).

You can mail your tax return and payment using the postal service. If you mail a return from outside the United States, the date of filing is the postmark date. However, if you send a payment, separately or with your return, your payment is not considered received until the date of actual receipt. You may use approved private delivery services. A list of approved delivery services is available on

You can prepare and e-file your income tax return, in many cases for free. Participating software companies make their products available through the IRS. Many Free File and e-file partners accept a foreign address. E-File options are listed on

You must pay your taxes in U.S. dollars.

Direct pay option. You can pay online with a direct transfer from your U.S. bank account using Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or by a U.S. debit or credit card. You also can pay by phone using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System or by a U.S. debit or credit card.

Foreign wire transfers. If you have a U.S. bank account, you can use: EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System), or Federal Tax Application (same-day wire transfer). If you do not have a U.S. bank account, ask if your financial institution has a U.S. affiliate that can help you make same-day wire transfers.

Foreign electronic payments. International taxpayers who do not have a U.S. bank account may transfer funds from their foreign bank account directly to the IRS for payment of their tax liabilities.

The IRS provides tax information in Chinese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Go to and use the drop down box under “Languages” on the upper right corner to select your language.

Contact the International Taxpayer Service Call Center by phone or fax. The International Call Center is open Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).

Tel: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)

Fax: 267-941-1055

If you receive a notice from the IRS and need to contact the IRS, call the number listed in the notice or the International Taxpayer Service Call Center (contact information is listed in the section above).

For information, see the IRS website about international taxpayers.

For general information about international taxpayers, see Publication 54, Taxation of U.S. Citizens and Residents Abroad.

For information on the Affordable Care Act and taxpayers outside the United States, see Publication 5187, Health Care Law.

If you have not filed all the returns that you should have and want to catch up on your filing obligations, see IRS makes changes to offshore-programs.

The IRS provides tax forms and instruction booklets, along with additional information, on its website at In particular, IRS Publication 54: Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad and the Basic Tax Guide for Green Card Holders may be useful and relevant for those living outside of the United States.

Internal Revenue Service Office, Paris, France
Phone: +33 (01) 43 12 25 55
Fax: +33 (01) 43 12 23 03
Hours: Phone service: M-F, 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm (Paris time)

International Customer Service Office, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Phone: +1 215-516-2000 (not toll free)
Fax: +1 215-516-2555
Hours: Phone service: M-F, 6:00 am – 11:00 pm (EST)
Address: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 920, Bensalem, PA 19020

Department of State
The State Department also provides information on taxes for overseas citizens and resident aliens at It is the choice and responsibility of taxpayers to decide how they want to file their taxes. Options may include:

Filing Online
Electronic filing services, which allow you to file and pay online with the help of a tax preparer or by yourself. Popular tax preparers include H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt, as well as popular tax preparation software like TurboTax, allow you to file electronically. Details are available at