Social Security

Social Security Inquiries: If you reside in Sudan and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Rome. For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their webpage at:

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage Service Around the World.

If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.

Applying for a Social Security Number:

U.S. citizens over the age of 12 applying for the first time for a social security number should approach the American Citizen Services in Khartoum. Please make an online appointment by clicking here. Please choose the option for ‘Request Notarial or other services’.