During October on the American English at State Facebook page our theme will be Cultural Heritage and Cultural Exchange. On the American English for Educators Facebook page our theme will be Culturally Inclusive Teaching. On the Teacher’s Corner Facebook group our theme will be The Sustainable Classroom: Building a Better Future as Environmental Stewards. Feel free to download our graphics and use them on your U.S. Government associated Facebook pages. They can be found in Box and SharePoint.
This week on the American English for Educators Facebook page the American English LIVE Teacher Development Series 12 will have its fourth session on Wednesday, October, 27. The fourth session, “Integrating STEAM and English With Oral Language Routines” will take place at 8am and 1pm ET. Promotional graphics and discussion posts are included with this week’s materials.
The latest issue of the 2021 English Language Forum has been posted on the American English website. A highlight from (Vol. 59, No. 3) is a feature article written by our colleague Lottie Baker on using story retelling wheels with young learners. Congratulations, Lottie, and thank you for contributing to this article! The issue also includes an article on humor instruction, and the My Classroom article profiles a teacher in the Galápagos Islands. Authors in the issue represent Japan, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, and Tajikistan. Please share with your contacts!
This week on the American English at State Facebook Page we continue highlighting our monthly theme with a vocabulary series on Cultural Exchange. The English for Journalism MOOC Vocabulary this week includes shock value, 24-hour new cycle, and celebrity. Our #WomenWednesday features a quote from Guatemalan Indigenous Rights Activist, Rigoberta Menchu Tum.
The Teacher’s Corner Facebook theme for October is The Sustainable Classroom Building a Better Future as Environmental Stewards and this week we focus on Community Connections for Social Impact. We’ll brainstorm potential ideas for future partnerships with community members. Our Expert Jennifer Williams will share her class-to-community learning ideas and her tips for building solid and sustainable class-to-community partnerships.
Be sure to check out our American English Materials. You can find copies of our most recent materials at the following links. The Global Guide to English Language Programming in American Spaces can be found in Box and on the American English Website. The updated Picture U.S. edition 2021, is in Box and on the AE website. The Online Program Material Guides – Teacher’s Guide to Creating Lessons with MOOCs, MOOC Camp Guide for Facilitators, and Virtual Watch Party guide is in Box and on the AE website.
The American English YouTube channel has a featured animated video about Back to School Vocabulary. Have you ever set a goal for yourself at the start of a new school year? What did you hope to achieve? Listen to this conversation to learn some verbs related to going back to school.
The Materials Catalogue for English language teachers and learners is available. These resources are aimed at supporting teachers of English outside of the United States. This catalog provides information on publications that are produced by the U.S. Department of State’s Office of English Language Programs and distributed through U.S. Embassies and Consulates around the world. Please see below for ordering information.
Online Professional English Network (OPEN) MOOCs: Integrating Critical Thinking Skills into the Exploration of Culture in an EFL Setting, English for Tourism Professionals, English for Media Literacy for Educators, Assessment of English Language Learners, English for Business & Entrepreneurship, English for Journalism and more are open for enrollment. More details about all MOOCs and links can be found below.
American English at State Facebook Page
Description: The American English at State Facebook Page is aimed at English language learners. Please share it as appropriate with relevant audiences in your area.
October’s Theme: Cultural Heritage and Cultural Exchange
October’s Language Point: Phrasal Verbs
· Idiom: red herring
· Cultural Exchange: sports, ideas to prompt cultural exchange
· Phrasal Verbs: whip up, cut back on, dig in, pick at, take out
· Food for Thought: cultural heritage
· Small Talk: preservation
· English for Journalism MOOC Vocabulary: shock value, 24-hour new cycle, celebrity
· #WomenWednesday features a quote from Guatemalan Indigenous Rights Activist, Rigoberta Menchu Tum
· #EducationUSA shares a vocabulary graphic for tuition
American English for Educators Facebook Page
Description: The American English for Educators Facebook Page is aimed toward engaging English language teachers around the world.
October’s Theme: Culturally Inclusive Teaching
· Culturally Inclusive Teaching: be clear about grading, take time, be reflective
· Our #MotivationMonday graphic shares a quote: “Teachers are cultural translators, bridge makers.”
· #MaterialsMonday shares: Teachers Corner Universal Design
· #WordyWednesday features theme-related vocabulary; this week’s term is perspective
· Our #SolveThisScenario series this week is about cultural representation
· #TeachingTip: breaking norms
· #ThoughtfulThursday: teaching responsibilities
· ICT MOOC Vocabulary: assessment, differentiation, cultural being
· We will continue sharing teaching tips from English Teaching Forum, classroom management techniques, and additional resources from americanenglish.state.gov.
· American English LIVE Teacher Development Series 12 will have its fourth session on October 27. The fourth session, “Integrating STEAM and English With Oral Language Routines” will take place at 8am and 1pm ET. Promotional graphics and discussion posts are included with this week’s materials.
Teachers’ Corner Facebook Group
Description: The Teacher’s Corner Facebook group is primarily to support teachers who work with English Access Microscholarship Students. All Access teachers (and other educators) are welcome! Please invite educators in your area to join.
October Theme: The Sustainable Classroom: Building a Better Future as Environmental Stewards
This Week’s Content:
· The Sustainable Classroom with a focus on Community Connections for Social Impact.
· We’ll brainstorm potential ideas for future partnerships with community members.
· Our Expert Jennifer Williams will share her class-to-community learning ideas and her tips for building solid and sustainable class-to-community partnerships.
· We’ll present a journey mapping activity that allows students to map out their plans for making community connections.
Link to group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AccessTeachersCorner/
American English Live Teacher Development Series 12
American English Live: Teacher Development Series 12 begins on September 15, 2021! We’ll focus on the themes of 21st Century Skills and the English Language Classroom, English for Specific Purposes: Tourism and Cultural Exploration, and Teaching STEAM topics to English Language Learners during these six webinars for English language educators around the world.
Series 12 events take place every other Wednesday from September 15th through November 24th at 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. Eastern Time from Washington, DC. To join these sessions, go to the @AmericanEnglishforEducators Facebook page (www.facebook.com/AmericanEnglishforEducators) at those times on the event dates. Check the local broadcast times in your region here: bit.ly/ChecktheTime
At the end of each free session, you can complete a short quiz to earn a digital participation badge!
Optional Certificate Language:
To learn about opportunities to connect with other participants and a chance to earn an e-certificate when you attend 4 out of 6 sessions, contact your Regional English Language Office or local U.S. Embassy: https://americanenglish.state.gov/support-near-you-regional-english-language-officer-relo
Presentation Dates and Titles:
September 15, 2021 – 8 am and 1 pm ET
Presentation: Teaching Hospitality and Tourism: Building Leadership, Communication, and Intercultural Awareness
Presenter: Serena Chu-Mraz
September 29, 2021 – 8 am and 1 pm ET
Presentation: ACTIVATE 21st Century Skills with Board Games in the Classroom
Presenter: Jennifer Borch
October 13, 2021 – 8 am and 1 pm ET
Presentation: STAIR Framework for Interactive Online Activities
Presenters: Stephanie Upadhyay
October 27, 2021 – 8 am and 1 pm ET
Presentation: Integrating STEAM and English With Oral Language Routines
Presenter: Amanda Fox
November 10, 2021 – 8 am and 1 pm ET
Presentation: Getting Started With Project-Based Learning in STEAM
Presenter: Catherine DiFelice Box & Anne Pomerantz
November 24, 2021 – 8 am and 1 pm ET
Presentation: STEAM-Powered Instruction: Practical Approaches for ELT Educators
Presenter: Eileen Finn